What is Msvcp140.dll?
The msvcp140.dll File is a DLL (Dynamic Link Library) file similar to 0xc000007b.dll that is provided by Microsoft for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, and windows 11. The DLL files contain instructions that different pieces of software may require to be able to function properly. It may cause a variety of different error messages to appear if the msvcp140.dll file is missing from your computer.
msvcp140.dll is a part of “Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2015″ and is often required for running programs developed with Visual C++.
There are some games and applications that require this file to be in the game/application installation folder. This problem can be resolved by copying it from the Windows system folder to the install folder of the game or application.
Note: Make sure to use the 32-bit DLL-file for 32-bit software, and 64-bit DLL-file for 64-bit software.
If simply replacing the file does not work, you may need to reinstall the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package, the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package can be found here on this Microsoft Support page.
For an installation guide on how to install the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package, follow this guide.
Install x86 for 32bit (x86) Windows, x64 for 64bit (x64) Windows. If using a 64-bit Windows, install both.
Msvcp140.dll Error Screenshot in windows
Possible error messages regarding this file:
- Msvcp140.dll is missing
- Msvcp140.dll error loading
- Msvcp140.dll crash
- Msvcp140.dll was not found
- the procedure entry point Msvcp140.dll
- Msvcp140.dll could not be located
- Msvcp140.dll Access Violation
- Cannot find Msvcp140.dll
- Cannot register Msvcp140.dll
- The program can’t start because msvcp140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
- There was a problem starting msvcp140.dll. The specified module could not be found.
- Error loading msvcp140.dll. The specified module could not be found.
- The code execution cannot proceed because msvcp140.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.
- msvcp140.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.
- red dead redemption 2 msvcp140.dll not found
- cannot find msvcp140.dll please reinstall this application
Msvcp140.dll: Free Download for windows
Developer: Microsoft Corporation
Product: Microsoft® Visual Studio®
Description: Microsoft® C Runtime Library
What am I seeing msvcp140.dll is missing or was not found?
There are a number of different reasons why msvcp140.dll errors can occur. Here are some reasons:
- A faulty application
- msvcp140.dll has been deleted or misplaced
- corrupted by malicious software present on your PC or a damaged Windows registry.
Here are some programs that may need msvcp140.dll
- GTA 5 / GTA V
- Rocket League
- Among us
- Red Dead Redemption 2
- Battlefield / BF5
- Cyberpunk 2077
- Genshin Impact
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe After Effect
- Epic Games Launcher
Recommended Solution to Fix msvcp140.dl Error
In most cases, reinstalling msvcp140.dll into the Windows system folder is the solution. Some programs, notably PC games, require the DLL file to be placed in the game/application installation folder.
Download Msvcp140.dll and copy it to the application or game installation folder, or copy it to the Windows system folder, and it should fix the error.
If you are not familiar with how to install DLL files, please check out the instructions below.
How to install Msvcp140.dll in windows 10 or 11
The application folder is often the first place where software loads .DLL files. If it cannot find the .DLL file here, it will automatically check the Windows system folders.
- Place the .DLL file in the same folder where the application .exe file is located.
- DLL installation has been completed.
- And restart your computer if necessary
Not sure which application is having problems?
Try installing the .DLL file directly to Windows. (see below)
Installing Msvcp140.dll directly to Windows.
- Copy the .DLL file to your C:\Windows\System32\ folder.
- Copy the .DLL file to your C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ folder.
- DLL installation has been completed!